The world famous AuSable and Manistee Rivers have a slow current, crystal clear water and no rocks or rapids, just an easy 3-5 mile per hour current. Canoeing or kayaking through beautiful forests of pine, birch and cedar on rivers perfect for beginners, couples, families or large groups is the ideal way to enjoy a warm summer day or to view magnificent fall colors. Catch an occasional glimpse of deer, mink, blue heron, several species of ducks, and other birds and wildlife. Enjoy trips with swimming, fishing, and picnicking. Kayaks are available for a unique outdoor experience. Trips range in length from 2 1/2 hours to several days.
Kelloggs Bridge Party Store (989)344-0404
Shel Haven 989-348-2158
- Operating a watercraft while intoxicated is illegal.
- Please: No more than one six pack of beer per canoe.
- Hard liquor, jello shots, kegs, party balls, glass containers and styrofoam coolers are prohibited.
- Maintain your partying within reasonable limits.
HELP SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT
- Keep the river clean. Littering is punishable by a fine of up to $400.
- Use heavy-duty coolers and water proof bags or containers and tie them to canoes.
- Leave wildlife and plants undisturbed.
- Protect the river for future generations.
PRACTICE SAFE CANOEING
- Michigan law requires that any person 6 years of age or under wear a life vest while canoeing. Local canoe liveries provide life vests for all persons wishing to wear them.
- Bring old shoes for wading or swimming.
- Remember sunglasses, sunscreen, and insect repellant.
- Dress in layers, mornings are often cool.
- Leave valuables and non-waterproof cameras in the car.
- Secure keys in bags or pockets.
THE RIVER IS A QUIET PLACE
- Leave portable/bluetooth speakers behind.
- Much of the property on the river is privately owned by our friends and neighbors, please respect their rights and privacy; stop only at public landings.
- Please share the river with fisherman, leave room and quietly pass them.
- Travel single file, do not tie or raft your canoes together.
COOPERATE WITH MARINE DEPUTIES
- Their job is to assist canoeists and other river users. They enforce regulations regarding litter, trespassing and improper river use, making river travel safer and more enjoyable.
Select a photo to scroll through the gallery: