AuSable Valley Snowmobile Association – February 2014 Snowmobile Association Newsletter
February 2014 Snowmobile Association Newsletter – General Membership Meetings– are held on the First Thursday of every month beginning in October running through April at the Ramada Inn of Grayling starting at 7: pm. AVSA meetings are open to anyone who wishes to attend.
Our next meeting will be March 6, 2014.
Only one more meeting is scheduled for the 2013 – 2014 on April 3, 2014
Trail Activity Report –
- Groomers have been running nearly daily since December
- Fuel cost a major expense in grooming is averaging $2,000 weekly for the season
- Month of January grooming stats:
Miles Groomed – 1984
Volunteer hours Grooming – 336
Average Grooming speed – 5.9 mph
Fuel cost for 3 Groomers – $9259.
Old Man Winter Weather – Stats from NOAA
- Snow depth ranging from 20 to 26 inches
- Total snow fall to date ranging from 100 to 120 inches
Best season in years – The following are a few comments from a recent newspaper article:
- Early snow has kept plenty of snowmobiles buzzing through Grayling and Crawford County. The area had one of its busiest snowmobiling weekends of the season, especially with some people having an extra day off of work for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
- Ben Smith, from Port Hope, said the trails were in good shape after he and a group of riders made a stop at a local eating establishment.
- Mark Skelton, of Mt. Pleasant, has a cottage on Higgins Lake, but always makes it a priority to stop in the community. “It’s some of the best riding I’ve seen in a couple of years,” Skelton said. “I probably put more miles on my sled by Christmas-time than I have in the past two years. That’s how good the snow has been.”
- Dan Huelsenbeck, of Ft. Wayne, Ind., said “Out in Camp Grayling, you can get into some virgin powder and it’s nice it’s been really good today.”
- Pete Kocefas, the owner of Sledheads of Frederic, said customers have given rave reports regarding the trail conditions, but have not encountered much traffic.
Safe Riding – remember safe riding starts with you! Ride sober!
AVSA Board of Directors
align=”center”>Pres.-Rich Filley V.P.-Tom Everly Grooming & Treasure-Keith Miles
align=”center”>Safety-Art Fisette Web Site-Rob Yon Secretary-Mike Miller
B.O.D.-Bill Weaver B.O.D.-Mike Brown B.O.D.-Rob Tomlinson
Contact via US mail at: AVSA, PO Box 1176, Grayling, MI 49738
Or visit us at: www.GoSledGrayling.org
Frequent our Business Members Whenever Possible!!
Airway Automation Fay’s Motel & Cottages Grayling Generating Station
Grayling Visitors Bureau Jack Millikin, Inc. Excavating McLean’s Ace Hardware
Pointe North Motel Ramada Inn Rich’s Cycle Service
River Country Motor Lodge Woodland Motor Lodge Charlie’s County Corners
Sledheads of Frederic Frederic Inn Restaurant Days Inn of Grayling