The Lovells Township Historical Society has another exhibit ongoing in the Trout Fishing Museum this summer. The ‘Poems, Verses, and Prose’ exhibit is a collection of writings by local and so not so local folks. It is anchored by a two-dimensional likeness of the Copper Fisherman, a life size copper statue that resides on the bank of the North Branch of the Au Sable above Lovells Bridge, created by George Charney of Lovells. George has three poems in the collection, one specific to the Copper Fisherman.
The collection of 15 writings span five centuries, from a poem of Izaak Walton’s in 1653 to Heather Lovell’s prose written in 2017. Filling the gap in between are writings from the Morley Lodge’s guest log book covering 1909 to 1920. Also a very clever poem by Arnold J. Copeland in 1948, responding to an invitation to the Lovells Dance. Glen Eberly, our historian and the Bard of Lovells, has poems about grouse hunting, a log, the Big Creek Lodge and a float trip with a dear friend.
It’s well worth a trip to the Lovells area, some afternoon take time to either read the writings or view the ‘George W. Mason & The Mason Tract – A Gift to Michigan’ exhibit as well as local Lovells’ history in the Lone Pine Schoolhouse, a one-room school built in 1907.
The Lovells Township Museums are located on the Township grounds at 8405 Twin Bridge Road. The exhibit is free and open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. thru September 29th. More information at lovellsmuseum.com, LTHSmuseums@gmail.com, Facebook, or 989-889-5580