Operated by the Lovells Township Historical Society, the Lovells Historical Museums includes two museums: the Lone Pine School Museum of Lovells History and the Lovells Museum of Trout Fishing History.
The Lone Pine School Museum of Lovells History is located in the Lone Pine School, a one-room log schoolhouse that was originally built in 1906. Also known as the Kellogg School, it was located at Jackson Hole on the North Branch of the AuSable River about seven miles downstream of Lovells. The school was used until 1936 when the schools were consolidated and the students were bussed to Grayling. The Lone Pine School was donated to the Lovells Township Historical Society in 1991 and was moved the seven miles to Douglas Park on the grounds of the Lovells Township Hall. Exhibits include a partial recreation of the Lone Pine School’s schoolroom with some of the original desks and the original slate chalkboard. Other exhibits include photographs, artifacts, and displays on Lovells Township history and the families that settled in the community.
The Lovells Museum of Trout Fishing History opened in a new log building in 2003. The museum is Michigan’s ONLY museum about trout fishing and features an annual exhibit about trout fishing or the AuSable River and changes each season. Permanent exhibits include collections of flies, fishing rods, reels, and other equipment, an exhibit about the grayling, the founding of Trout Unlimited, and about some of the historic members of Michigan’s trout fishing community.
The Lovells Historical Museums are open from the last Saturday in April through the last weekend in September. Open hours are Wed and Fri, 1-4pm; Sat, 11am-4pm; and Sun, 10am-1pm.
Visit the website at lovellsmuseum.com
Phone: (989)889-5691 (Museum Director)