We picked up another 3-4 inches of snow this week. Trails are being groomed and are currently in good shape. See below for info from the AuSable Valley Snowmobile Association newsletter.
TV 9 & 10 weather:
Mostly clear to partly cloudy skies this morning have led to another bitterly cold morning across Northern Michigan. Temperatures are ranging from -20 to 5 degrees with the majority of the clouds along M-55 and South. Winds this morning are out of the North/Northwest at 5-10mph. Today will be a mostly to partly sunny day with the majority of the sun hanging around the U.P. and Northern L.P. while the Central L.P. will see more of the partly sunny conditions. Highs today will range from 2 to 12 degrees with winds out of the North/Northwest at 5-10mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy with more bitterly cold temps. -2 to -11 degrees and winds will be out of the Northwest at 5-10mph.
Friday will be mostly to partly sunny once again with highs in the lower to upper teens. Saturday will be mostly sunny with highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Saturday night and Sunday will bring in scattered light snow showers. Some minor accumulations will be possible as we work into Sunday evening. Highs Sunday will be in the lower to upper 20s.
Monday will be mostly sunny with highs in the low 20s to maybe a low 30. Tuesday will bring a system in from the Southwest. The majority of this system will be to our Southeast but a chunk of wind and snow will work through Northern Michigan. This means windy and snowy conditions Tuesday afternoon and evening. Highs will be in the mid 20s to low 30s. We will continue to watch this carefully. Wednesday will be partly cloudy with mid 20s to low 30s.
-Meteorologist Michael Stevens
Interesting info from the AuSable Valley Snowmobile Association newsletter…
Trail Grooming Report for January:
- Miles Groomed – 840
- Hours Grooming – 133
- Fuel usage – $2,308
- These numbers are down roughly 60% from January 2014, however even with less snow the crew has kept the trails in great riding condition.
- States with snowmobile registrations for 2013-2014 season, Michigan ranked third behind Minnesota and Wisconsin with 205,351.
- In 2014 there were 157,106 snowmobiles sold worldwide; 54,028 were sold in the U.S.
- There are 1.4 million registered snowmobiles in the US
- The average cost of a machine to pull a grooming drag is over $200,000? It cost another $20-30,000 for the drag that cuts the moguls, levels and smooths the trail. Another way to look at it is that it takes more than 5,110 trail permits at $45 each to purchase a grooming tractor and drag. Jan/Feb 2014 MSA
- There are approximately 175 trail grooming units used to maintain the 6,500 miles of groomed trails in Michigan? The cost to groom one mile of trail last season was $5.13. Jan/Feb 2014 MSA
- During low snow years any money left in the snowmobile trail fund is used to repair and/or replace bridges on the trails and also to repair and/or to purchase new grooming units. Jan/Feb 2014 MSA